#acceptance

Well, well, well, look who decided to show up (me). Notice with my post title, I’m trying to bring back the hashtag. I really like the hashtag and I’m not sure why it’s lost it’s gusto. Let me preface this post by saying there are no recipes, no pictures, no…there’s nothing really here except for a little rant. Okay, maybe one picture.

I have 100% been on a health hiatus the past few weeks. Okay, maybe more like 95% (the other 5% was me eating cookies and partaking in St.Patrick’s Day festivities). Those of you that actually know me, know that I have the most annoying stomach of all time. Those of you that don’t know, now you know. It’s sensitive. I’m talking issues after every single meal (if you’re seriously curious, it’s IBS-constipation, and I’ll talk about it to anyone who wants to listen, but I’ll spare the rest of the world by limiting the deets here).

Image result for they say trust your gut but have you met mine meme

Last time we spoke (aka I wrote, you read), I had been toying with being a vegan. Fast forward a few weeks and now I’m back to eating meat. I’m still trying to eat a TON of veggies, though. I know, I know, it’s annoying. I’ll be the first one to admit that. I’m annoyed. However, I was listening to a Podcast the other day (Balanced Bites– it’s one of the best), and one of the ladies was talking about being a “nutrient seeker” and how those of us who are interested in bettering the way we feel, are all just trying to be the healthiest we can be. Often, that means we have to try various approaches to eating before we find the one that works best for us. That looks differently for everyone, and I am currently trying to figure out the diet that works best for me. When I say “currently” I mean, I’ve been trying to figure it out for freaking ever.

I recently reached out for more medical advice via a “GI Specialist” (my 4th doctor, but this time I was expecting more since he was a “guru” on GI issues). I was SERIOUSLY disappointed when the answer he gave me was the same as the others, “you have IBS.” I honestly feel like it’s a garbage can diagnosis and that there must be a cause. I don’t know the root cause, all I know is I have a ton of food sensitivities. He wanted to do a couple procedures that “might” help us “rule out” some more serious issues, but the underlying treatment would be diet. So, here I am again, toying with my diet, trying to find what works best for me. Want to know what doesn’t work for me? A ton of veggies. Like, being vegan. I can only eat a small list of veggies that don’t cause discomfort and they have to be roasted (carrots, zucchini, celery, eggplant).

As a vegan, that’s not going to cut it. Especially because I also can’t eat legumes or tofu. I even discovered that potatoes (yes, potatoes) cause discomfort. I can pinpoint this based off of food journals and a TON of trial and error (I love sweet potatoes, but we’re breaking up for a bit). Trust me, I’ll try again after a few more weeks without them. Long story short, it’s hard to sustain a plant based diet when a ton of plants feel like the devil. Plus, I was hungry all the time, not cool.

This sort of brings me to the Daily Prompt “one word challenge” that I’m going to try to stay on top of through WordPress. The one word prompt today is “Acceptance” and it couldn’t be more appropriate for my situation. Regardless of what I think the cause of my stomach issues is, I need to fully “come to terms” (that’s what the guru said) with the fact that I have a condition that only allows me to eat certain foods. That’s SUPER HARD when you like love food.

Through my research, I should be eating an anti-inflammatory diet in order to allow my gut to heal (I hate the word gut). This means I should eliminate grains (cooookies), legumes (not a problem), dairy (cheeeeeeese), and even nuts and seeds (this is personal-I can tolerate nut butters but not whole nuts). That leaves me with meat, eggs, veggies that I can tolerate and some fruit (at certain times of the day). This is all while making sure I drink a ton of water, get plenty of sleep, and stress less (riiiiiiight).

Look, sometimes I know I sound like such a nut case, but I have been dealing with this FOR SO LONG. I have to accept this situation and tackle it. I have to get back to a rhythm that works for me.

In other words I’m trying to find acceptance with where I’m at today and look forward to the future.

End rant.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s