It is currently 70 and sunny in Kansas City, so Kevin and I are desperately trying to find a Saturday happy hour with a patio. They’re not as easy to come by here in KC as they are in California. Anyways, this post will be short and sweet and then I’m getting back to my Yelp app.
I wanted to share this super easy soup with you all, because it was:
What you need:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 carton vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1/2 an apple, chopped
- 1 Tb. maple syrup
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1 garlic glove, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- olive oil
What you need to do:
- Cut the squash lengthwise and scrape the seeds out. Rub some olive oil over it, and sprinkle salt and pepper over it. Then, put it upside down on a foil lined baking sheet. I roasted mine for 40 minutes at 425. Keep at eye on it. You want it ROASTED but not burnt.
- While that cooled, I sautéed the onion with some garlic and then randomly decided to toss in the half fuji apple I had in the fridge. Sautee until it’s all fragrant and soft (5-10 minutes or so).
- Once the butternut squash was cool enough to handle, I scraped all of it out and put it into my Vitamix. I added a full carton of vegetable broth and the sautéed onion/apple mix. Keep an eye on the Maximum fill line. This was pretty close.
- Blend it all up! I threw a T. of butter in at the end and blended it in. It needed a bit of creaminess. Totally optional though. I also topped mine with pepitas because I love them.
- EAT! Feel good about yourself!